Top 6 Tennessee Child Support Strategies
Tennessee Child Support Law Video Series
Best Tennessee child support strategies in Tennessee divorce law by Memphis divorce attorney Miles Mason, Sr. including strategies and strategic advice to parents with child support issues.
Hi, I’m Miles Mason. This message about Tennessee child support is for clients and friends in Collierville, Memphis, and Germantown, Tennessee and the surrounding area. Tennessee child support strategy in Tennessee divorce law is important. Here are the top 6 Tennessee child support strategies:
- Study the Tennessee Child Support Guidelines. Details matter.
- Maximize the amount used for the other parent’s income. Make sure all earned and passive income is included. The definition of gross income is very broad and can include income that is not taxed.
- Maximize your parenting time with the children when negotiating the permanent parenting plan.
- Make sure the costs for certain categories of your children’s expenses are accurate, such as health insurance premiums and child care. If you don’t know the amount, find out from the source. Anticipate future cost increases.
- Make sure you think about all of the extra expenses your children may need, such as tutoring, sports, and educational travel – both now and in the future. Share those expenses with your lawyer and discuss specific strategies.
- Run different scenarios. Using the child support calculator, input different amounts (both high and low) for the variables and see how different inputs impact the final amount. You may be surprised. If a particular point in dispute has only a small impact on the outcome of child support, don’t fight over it.
References, Resources, and More:
- Tennessee Child Support Answers to FAQ’s.
- Child Support Enforcement & Collection in Tennessee Family Law FAQs.
- Tennessee Family Law Blog and its Child Support category for legal updates, analysis, and commentary.
- When does Tennessee child support end for a parent of one child?
- Tennessee Parenting Plans and Child Support Worksheets: Building a Constructive Future for Your Family