• Disgusted in Tennessee

    Why on earth would you give an example only outlining a WIFE’S infidelity? I’m sorry, but it is insensitive and should have been worded differently. Statistically, it’s the husband who “dines out,etc.” with another woman while the wife is at home caring for the children and/or home. Not to say that it doesn’t happen the other way around, but perhaps you could word it as “spouse” rather than paint the woman (or the man) as being the scumbag. Don’t we deal with enough of that kind of “it’s your fault your husband cheated” stigma anyway? Shame on you. And no, I am not some scorned wife. I am an abused one who left a jerk husband. I am just a woman who is also a law student, period. And that is beyond offensive. Clearly a man wrote this. Probably right after dining out with his mistress. Ugh.

    June 12, 2014
    • We apologize if you were offended. In our writing, we generally alternate between examples of men and women at fault. In our professional experience, we see infidelity roughly equal between the genders.

      July 06, 2014
  • Dennis

    Does condonation apply as a defense to verbal abuse? Also, if my wife was sexting someone after she told me she wanted a divorce and I call her a bad name in a loud voice, is that now the inappropriate marital conduct she needs? In other words, if not for her treachery, I would not have yelled at her. I had never called her that during our previous years of marriage and generally do not use vulgarity.

    December 26, 2015
    • Condonation, in its strict legal sense, would not apply to cursing or verbal abuse. In the divorce context, calling someone a bad name in a loud voice could constitute grounds. But, a judge’s ruling will likely turn on the incident in the context of the rest of the evidence.
      Miles Mason, Sr.
      Attorney, Miles Mason Family Law Group, PLC. Serving clients in Memphis • Germantown • Collierville • West Tennessee. Our response is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only way to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an experienced Tennessee family law attorney, let the attorney review pleadings and orders, listen to you, ask follow up questions, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an opinion. The basic information provided is intended as a public service only. A complete discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. All information on this site is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship with anyone. Answers are provided for informational purposes only.

      December 30, 2015

Leave a comment


Email(will not be published)*


Your comment*

Submit Comment

Copyright © 2016 Miles Mason Family Law Group, PLC //Disclaimer